“An excellent school grounded in an ancient tradition. I loved taking the 200 hour training and love continuing my studies and teaching here!” Chris Molinari
“Best Teacher Training ever! Comprehensive in Philosophy, Asana, Teaching Technique and Ayurveda. It has given me a most solid foundation from which to build and share”. Maggi Aebi
- Pittsburgh’s longest standing and most reputable teacher certification program. We have offered this program in Pittsburgh for nearly 20 years and are an internationally recognized educational facility.
- We are educators! This program will give you a deeper understanding of yoga so that you have a broader, more stable foundation to share, teach and make a difference.
Inherit the Wisdom of a Living Tradition
Ready to become a yoga instructor? Or as an experienced yoga practitioner, would you like to deepen your practice for your own personal growth? Next session begins October 2017
Certification through the Himalayan Institute qualifies graduates to become members of HITA (Himalayan Institute Teachers Association) and to register with Yoga Alliance.
Teacher Training 2017-18
We are now in the process of taking applications for our 2017-2018 teacher training at our Pittsburgh location. For more information about the application and to begin the application process, click here. Call to request the scheduled weekends and syllabus. Cost of the program is $2999. We meet one or two weekends a month from October to June. The hours are from 11:30 am – 7 pm on Saturday and 11 am – 7 pm on Sunday.
What makes the Himalayan Institute’s Program Unique?
Dedicated to a tradition of excellence in teaching for more than 37 years, the Himalayan Institute offers yoga teachers comprehensive and systematic training in classical yoga. We teach yogic techniques for body, breath, mind, and spirit in our 200-and 500-hour programs. Our programs include meditation, quality asana instruction, training in pranayama and relaxation techniques, therapeutic yoga, and yoga philosophy and psychology.
The Himalayan Institute is a registered school with Yoga Alliance, meeting the requirement for national registration at both the 200- and 500-hour levels.
I. How to practice and teach all major classes of asanas
- Principles of structural and energetic movement
- Anatomy and physiology for yoga teachers
- Structuring and sequencing classes
- Yoga model of the subtle (pranic) body
- Practice teaching in small and large groups
II. How to practice and teach pranayama, pratyahara, and meditation
- Systematic breath training
- Pranayama practice and teaching
- Relaxation techniques and teaching
- Theory and practice of meditation
III. Understanding and applying yoga philosophy and yoga psychology
- Study of the Yoga Sutra
- Study of the Bhagavad Gita
- The yogic model and functions of the mind
- Introduction to Sanskrit
Participants who complete the program receive Yoga Teacher Certification from the Himalayan Institute Teachers Association (HITA) and are also eligible to apply for the 200-hour level of registration (RYT) with Yoga Alliance. Certification requirements include: full attendance in the training intensive, required reading, knowledge assessments, and two written assignments to be completed after the training intensive. Most participants complete their certification requirements in six months to one year. All participants must complete certification requirements within two years in order to receive certification.